West Shore Home is growing at an explosive rate! To do so, we must operate at an above average pace. We take extreme ownership of our work and are goal oriented as we move the company towards our mission of being the most admired home improvement brand in the U.S. As the Corporate Counsel – Employment Law, this attorney is responsible for assisting the General Counsel and Human Resources Department in the management and handling of employment related matters and employee benefits.
Key Role Accountabilities:
- Provide in-house legal counsel on employment related matters, including but not limited to human resources issues; internal investigations; federal and state wage and hour laws; workers’ compensation, unemployment and other state agency claims; compensation plans; employee benefits; employment agreements; separation agreements; FMLA and ADA accommodation requests; employment related hearings, litigation, mediations, and arbitrations; and matters related to COVID-19.
- Draft employment related policies and procedures.
- Create and provide in-house training on employment related matters.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable labor and employment laws, rules, regulations, and policies.
- Identify and assesses legal risks and opportunities within the labor and employment area and advises accordingly.
- Supervise outside counsel on employment related matters, including litigation.
- Perform other tasks not related to employment matters, as assigned from time to time by the General Counsel.
- Review, revise and negotiate commercial contracts.
Minimum Role Requirements:
- Competence as a lawyer
- Highly motivated, detail-oriented and attracted to challenging opportunities within a rapidly growing business
- Sound judgment and the ability to make reasoned recommendations and determine who should be informed
- Strong interpersonal, project management and organizational skills
- Strong research skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Creative problem-solving skills with the ability to propose solutions that are both legally compliant and consistent with business plans and strategies
- Able to build credibility and trust with clients, colleagues, stakeholders, and business partners
- Able to manage heavy workload in a high-pressure environment and reprioritize as necessary
- Team player, patient listener and calm under pressure
Required Education & Experience:
- JD degree from an accredited law school
- Admitted to practice in Pennsylvania
- A minimum of three years of substantive labor and employment experience with a corporate legal department or law firm
- Experience handling labor and employment matters before federal courts, state courts, and administrative agencies
- Experience counseling clients on labor and employment matters
It is the policy of West Shore Home to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, West Shore Home will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.